How to do Crunches
Crunches are a highly effective way of giving your abdominals a workout, however, it is easy to get them wrong, and if you do, you wonít get the same effect, and risk back problems.
Here's our guide to show you how to do crunches better. You won't get perfect abs overnight, but if you work hard, these will really help you get a toned, and defined mid section youíll want to show off.
Basic Crunches Guide
- Start off lying flat on the floor on your back with your your knees slightly raised, and your feet flat on the floor. Place your hands behind your head or across your chest.
- Flatten your lower back against the floor, and tense your stomach to pull your belly button inwards.
- Keep your neck straight and your chin pointing up, then contract your abs to bring your shoulders about 2 inches up off the floor.
- Hold the position for a couple of seconds while maintaining the tension in your abs. Try and breathe normally.
- Try and do 15-20 reps. The most important thing is to maintain your form. If you canít manage the full set of 20 without keeping your form, stop and take a break.
Tips for better crunches
- Keep your back flat on the floor during the entire exercise movement.
- Donít curl your neck. If you find that you are, put your fist under your chin to keep your neck straight.
- Raise your feet off the floor on a low block if you struggle to keep your back straight.
© 2017 vytalz social fitness